October Newsletter

Tips for a Safe, Not Scary Halloween for Pets

2015-10-31-2015-Halloween-Buddy-09Halloween is a fun time for humans, but not always for our pets. As you gear up for the holiday, keep these safety tips in mind to ensure your pet has a dog gone great Halloween.

Be careful with costumes. If you dress up your pet, the costume should not constrict their movement, hearing or sight, or impede their ability to breathe, bark or meow. It may be helpful to try on the costume before the big night – if your pet seems distressed or shows abnormal behavior, don’t bother. Also, check for any small, dangling or easily chewed-off pieces they could choke on.

Beware of potentially harmful make-up or face paint. Paints can irritate your pet’s skin, or may be ingested. Even make-up that is non-toxic can cause stomachaches or worse.

1385834_244579639032430_876150188_nCandy bags are strictly for the kids. Chocolate in all forms, especially dark or baking chocolate can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Give your pooch their own Halloween treat in the form of their favorite doggy snack. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian or poison control center.

Keep an eye out for edible decorations. Items like pumpkins and candy corn are often used for decorating, and while they are considered to be relatively nontoxic, they can cause upset stomachs for pets that nibble on them.

Keep Fido at home while you trick-or-treat. It’s possible your dog could get spooked by a ghost or goblin and a dog bite or fight could occur.

Comments are closed.